Awareness and Training
Computers are everywhere; they invade virtually every aspect of our lives. From the moment we rub the sleep from our eyes to check our social media, to the moment we set the alarm on our phones before we close those eyes, technology is the tool of choice for we humans.
Unfortunately, we seldom think of the risks we impose on ourselves through the use of these tools. That is why The Security Awareness and Training Team’s mission is to help users and the university community make better decisions about how to protect themselves and the university.
Why do we need awareness and training?
Our awareness and training efforts are designed to:
- Foster a higher level of interest in good security hygiene
- Better understand the risky behaviors that endanger ourselves and the university
- Educate users about the ways Enterprise Security is here to help and make things simpler
- Provide researchers assistance with understanding and navigating research regulations and risk
- Provide greater understanding of how to secure ICS/SCADA/IoT systems
What are Security Awareness projects are we working on?
- Phishing Education: Many staff and faculty members know us through our work in protecting the university from malicious phishing emails. At intervals we conduct phishing exercises to regularly report our susceptibility to attacks. Maybe one of those phish swimming through your inbox came from us. Just remember, we’re the “good guys”.
- Awareness and Training: We assist the university units by providing security training that strengthens the technical abilities of their users while helping them comply with regulations.
- Cybersecurity 4 You (C4U) Awareness Platform: Traditional cybersecurity training rarely answers the important questions you think about in your digital life. Ohio State is taking an innovative, new approach to cybersecurity awareness – Cybersecurity 4 You (C4U) security awareness platform. It will also comply with your annual training requirement and is unique in several ways:
- It focuses on cybersecurity in all areas of your digital life, not just while on campus. Short, high-quality activities – articles, videos and podcasts – offer tricks and techniques that allow you to take immediate action. You choose what topics interest you.
- As you LEARN, you’ll EARN points that you can exchange for exclusive Ohio State merchandise, tech gifts or security tools. No need to save your points; a reward is offered for each level you achieve!
- Access the platform from devices you own, including smart phones and tablets.
- Come back often for fresh and relevant content so you can level-up and get the best rewards. Click here to start your journey!
Who can I contact for more information about Security Awareness?
Security Awareness team members include:
- Reg Jackson, Security Engineer
- Patrick Mahoney, Security Engineer
- Dan Roll: Security Engineer
- Brandon Williams, Security Engineer